Personalised Evidence Based School Nutrition Services To Turbocharge Health & Wellbeing By Creating Healthy Eating Strategies
Nutrition is critical to support the growth, development and overall health of children, teenagers and young adults. Whilst the human brain is still in its developmental stage, healthy nutrition must be present. In Jake’s workshops and seminars in Sydney, he educates and subsequently empower students to optimise their health and wellbeing by healthy eating strategies. Jake also provides evidence based nutrition seminars for family members to set their child and teenager for optimal health and longevity.
The Essential Need For Nutrition Education At Your School
- 40% of Australian children do not meet the guidelines for fruit intake.
- 8 out of 10 children do not eat the recommended serves of vegetables per day.
- Males and females aged 15-24, 1 in 3 (33% or 1.0 million) consumed only 1 serve of fruit a day, while 12% (or 366,400) ate less than 1 serve and 6.0% (or 185,800) did not eat any fruit.
- Insufficient fruit and vegetable intake is linked to key nutrient deficiencies such as Vitamin C, calcium, iron, vitamin B12 and magnesium which are essential nutrients for optimal health and development.
- In the past decade, the prevelance of overweight and obesity has more than doubled.
- An iron deficiency in childhood has been linked to cognitive deficits in young children and teenagers.
- Nutrition from added sugars and unhealthy fats (soft drinks, cakes, muffins and pastries) contribute to 41% of total energy intake for individuals aged 2-18. This increases the risk of type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart disease and chronic inflammation.
- Children, adolescents and teenagers who are overweight or obese have a greater risk of social and psychological problems such as discrimination, poor self esteem and bullying.
- Lack of adequate consumption of fruits, vegetables and grains is associated with lower grades in students.
- Nutritional deficiencies of the micronutrients vitamin D, B6, B12, C, folate, iron, zinc and calcium are associated with higher rates of absenteeism.
- A calcium, vitamin D and magnesium deficiency is associated with stunted growth in children and teenagers and an increased risk of stress fractures and injuries.
- Protein provides essential amino acids that contribute to the mental and physical health in one’s developmental stage. A protein deficiency decreases muscle development, delays growth rates, lowers immunity and initiates poor concentration and mental clarity.
Personalised Nutrition Programs For Your School
Health4Life! Years 3-6
Health4Life is a fun and interactive nutrition program that supports and inspires students from Years 3-6 to get an understanding of the foundations of healthy eating and making healthy food choices. Students are captivated by up to date nutrition information and leave the program feeling inspired to enjoy nutritious, healthy foods. Jake covers:
- What are the five food groups?
- What are the recommended number of serves for each food group on a daily basis?
- Guess which foods goes into each food group activity!
- How to design your own healthy nutrition plate
- Plan your own healthy meals and snacks!
Food4Vitality! Years 7-8
Food4Vitality is designed for students Years 7-8 to learn the foundations of the most optimal nutrition for their growth and development as well as fundamental daily nutrition interventions to implement for everyday health and wellbeing. Jake covers:
- Breakfast: What is the importance? Highest quality breakfast vs low quality? Brilliant breakfast ideas!
- How to design a healthy lunch meal. What are the best options to have?!
- Healthiest snacks to have for recess and after school!
- What are the most nutritious dinner meals to enjoy?
- Importance of nutrition for physical and mental health.
TeenageNutrition4Life! Years 9-10
TeenageNutrition4Life is designed for students Years 9-10 to develop a clear understanding of optimal nutrition for their teenager years as well as developing nutritional awareness with food choices and decisions. Jake covers:
- What really does a balanced nutrition plan mean?
- How can young people achieve balance and moderation within their food choices?
- Where do snacks fit into a healthy nutrition plan? How to make healthy snack choices
- Do treats or favourite foods fit into a healthy nutrition plan? How often should these foods be consumed and how to avoid any guilty or shame when eating?
- Introduction to the importance of nourishing a healthy gut microbiome.
- How to read food nutrition labels.
- How to create a healthy relationship with food and bodies.
Nutrition4Longevity! Years 11-12
Nutrition4Longevity is understanding the fundamentals of human nutrition for optimal growth and development. We explore key functions in the human body, how to use nutrition as medicine for the body and empower students to make excellent health decisions. We cover:
- How to create a daily healthy nutrition plan?
- What are high quality vs low quality foods from our food groups?
- How does nutrition impact brain function and mood?
- Why is the gut considered the second brain? What can students do to make their gut flourish and understand the gut brain connection?
- What is the relationship between nutrition and sleep? How can students make excellent food choices to support daily healthy sleeping patterns?
- Where does alcohol and caffeine fit in? Empower students to make intelligent choices for their bodies!
- Introduction to understanding nutrition for optimal sports performance.
- Are their risks with following nutrition advice for celebrities and influencers? How to connect students with reliable, evidence-based advice.
Educational Nutrition Seminars For Family Members
Setting your nutrition for your child, teenager and young adult can be daunting, overwhelming and difficult! How much do I feed my child? Are they eating too much? What do I do as they are such fussy eaters? Are they eating to little? Why wont they have any fruit or vegetables!? Most, if not all, are confused about the myriad of health and nutrition messages that are exposed in mainstream media.
Jake’s nutrition seminars highlight the critical role family members play in encouraging and enabling healthy eating behaviours. The nutrition consumed at home will have a enormous impact on students learning, energy levels, behaviour and mental health. Jake eliminates the confusion and provide evidence based, clear and concise information to empower family members to have the confidence to nourish the entire family!
Sports Nutrition School Presentations
How to Optimally Fuel Your Body for Peak Sports Performance
Learn how nutrition impacts athletic potential and the foods and beverages that will optimise sports performance. This presentation provides detailed information on how all macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, dietary fat, dietary fibre and water) as well as micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals) support athletic performance.
How to Build Balanced Meals for Optimal Performance
Students will learn how to build balanced and nutritious breakfasts, lunches and dinners as well as healthy snacks for optimal performance.
Pre, During and Post Exercise Fuelling to Optimise Performance
A general overview of why, when, what and how much to eat before, during and after training and competition to maximize athletic potential. Meal and snack suggestions will be extensively discussed.
Post-Exercise Fuelling for Optimal Performance & Recovery
An in-depth explanation of how to optimally fuel after workouts/competition. Students will develop meal and snack plans for post-exercise fuelling. Hydration needs will briefly be covered.
During Exercise Fuelling for Peak Performance & Recovery
A thorough investigation and review of how to optimally fuel and hydrate the body during workouts/competition. Students will determine their specific carbohydrate and hydration needs. Snack and beverage suggestions will be provided.
Supplements & Performance Enhancing Aids
Do they really work? Scientifically based information on the vitamins and minerals that are essential for optimal sports performance, the performance enhancing aids that truly benefit athletic performance and the pros and cons of taking supplements.
Stay Hydrated to Train and Compete Your Best
Learn how hydration status affects sports performance. Students will learn how to determine if they are drinking enough for optimal training and competing.
Fuelling for Optimal Performance when Travelling
Eating on the road can be a challenge, Jake teaches students exactly how to adequately fuel and hydrate when traveling.
Alcohol and Athletic Performance
This hands-on presentation covers how alcohol negatively affects the students body and the myriad adverse consequences that alcohol consumption has on athletic performance.
Boosting or Draining
Students will learn what foods/beverages and eating patterns reduce and enhance energy and overall performance. Suggestions for more nutrient-rich options are provided.
Fuelling to reduce inflammation
Inflammation is going to significantly hinder performance and recovery. Scientifically based information on the foods aid in reducing inflammation. Students will brainstorm how to include these foods in their daily dietary intake.
What to Look for on Food Labels to Enhance Your Athletic Performance
This hands-on workshop will provide easy-to-use tips on how to select foods and beverages to turbocharge athletic performance, and not to hinder it.
Grocery Shopping Guidelines for Champions
Students will learn how to purchase foods that will support their athletic performance. The following topics will be discussed: Pantry and cooking essentials, the importance of making a grocery shopping list, how to shop on a food budget, and fast and easy meal suggestions.
Super Foods for Super Athletes
Your students will learn the foods that have been scientifically proven to be “super” foods for athletes based on how they affect performance from reducing inflammation to increasing stamina and energy to optimising muscle growth and repair. Recommendations for how to incorporate them into a daily eating plan will be discussed.
Boarding School Nutrition Presentations & Dietary Analysis
As a clinical nutritionist in Sydney, Jake partners with boarding schools to provide ongoing nutrition support to students, staff, cooks and families. Jake runs interactive nutrition seminars, workshops and presentations with different year groups, so students can be inspired and empowered to make the best food choices for their health and wellbeing. Jake also works closely with chefs and cooks to ensure the food offering meets necessary standards and is optimising the needs and requirements of all students. A dietary analysis is provided on the current options being offered to students and Jake makes evidence based dietary recommendations on potential substitutions for more nutrient dense meals and snacks for the students based on their macronutrient and micronutrient requirements.